Saturday, September 5, 2015

Transformed

I am not very tech-savvy. I am pushed by keeping up with the youth around me by using facebook, twitter, and now whatsapp. But I find myself seeing some positive uses and simple relationship connecting through them, so I keep working at it, and asking  people how this or that works.
Recently, I was using the WhatsApp to keep our Jr and Sr High basketball team informed about what was happening that week for practice and playing times. They started to ask some basic questions, and then started teasing each other as invariably happens. Someone then asked why we have such a strange name as Transformed, they had never heard such before.
I know an open door when I see one, so at the next practice I had them sit down and talked to them about the importance of giving your live completely to God and how he will transform you. There were heads nodding and a serious silence as they listened, and I was blessed to be able to share that little bit.
We then walked over to the new office we are renting and they asked why we had this office. I explained that it was a mult-purpose office for basketball meetings and teaching, English tutoring and teaching on other topics. Several laughed when I asked how much they would pay for English classes and they said 5 pesos. They seemed serious about wanting some English help so it seems we may be going down the right trail.
Karlene called as I was ready to say adios wanting to invite the team to our place to watch Team Mexico playing a live game that was at half time. Most of our team was up for it, so they came over, all sweaty and tired, and we watched Mexico win.
At this stage in our basketball ministry, we are investing in building strong relationships. Josiah has been invited to one home several times and we have these two boys over as well. I have got to know the family. One girl comes to visit on Saturdays with Keyana after practice as well and her mom enjoys practicing English with us. We are seeing families and youth opening up to us, and we are praying that we can be a blessing in their lives with eternity in mind. We are blessed by the many that are praying for us, and partnering with us. We live in a time of great difficulty but great opportunity. As Jesus said many years ago, the fields are ripe, it is time for the harvest. I don't think that has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment