Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Back to the Grindstone

They say that you don't know how good you had it til it gets bad. They say that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...or there are less bumps and holes on the other side of the road. They say that your kids grow up in a blink of an eye. You can't wait for them to leave, and then you can't believe they are gone already! Time is funny that way. It can seem to drag, or it can fly right by. The Proverbs of The Holy Bible are full of sayings too, but they are chalk full of wisdom and trustworthy sayings. One that is standing out to me at this time is the need to discipline.

Proverbs 3:11-12 My child, don’t reject the Lord’s discipline,
    and don’t be upset when he corrects you.
12 For the Lord corrects those he loves,
    just as a father corrects a child in whom he delights.

Discipline is never easy and is no easier for the one doing the disciplining. Yet if I delight in my child, I will discipline him or her. This discipline is not spanking, though you may use corporal punishment as a part of discipline, but instead it is guiding, teaching, correcting, sharing and loving. The Lord also corrects me when I do wrong. I have tendencies towards pride and anger. These two weaknesses have plagued me all my life, and when I think God is changing me completely, they seem to rise again. Recently I had the opportune to be a student again. Being corrected when I thought I was doing something just as I was supposed to didn't sit well with me, and ire rose when I felt slighted. I realized later that the issue was mine, and that I need to submit to authority as I hope my kids will submit to mine.
Back to the grindstone of homeschooling...well, in a way I never stopped but was using the summer holidays to try to get some extra catch-up with my child. The schedule has become overwhelmingly full, and I am struggling with finding the time and energy to fit it all in. This is where I am reminded that there is a source of wisdom and strength that never runs empty or dry.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
    do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
    and he will show you which path to take.

And that is where I am, needing to trust in the Lord more, that is with all my heart with all that I am, not faltering or second guessing or using human wisdom if God is already speaking. In ALL I do, seek Him, his will, and he will show me the way to go. This will require time, faith and possibly determination. Drop some things that are good to continue others that are better. Do some things differently but with more prayer in everything. 
Happy to be coaching basketball and soccer, leading a men's discipleship group and a cell group. May God be glorified, and may I be more glad to home-school and spend time with my higher priority, my family. Thanks for your prayers in this continual journey, and may God guide you in yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment