Monday, September 7, 2015

The Red Button


We have a TV but the power button hasn't seen much action this summer. Last week, when I had a rare moment to myself, I wandered over and pressed the red button and proceeded to channel surf. When I saw the word “Baloncesto,” on the guide, I was curious as to what type of basketball it would be and decided to check it out. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered Team Canada playing against Puerto Rico in the 2015 Fiba Amercias! Since then, we have enjoyed following Canada's progress and Mexico's as well. Both teams have been playing exceptionally well and can you guess who's going head to head tomorrow night? That's right, our home and native land goes up against our adopted home. Some would say this is “as fate would have it” but I believe this is the way God would have it, the way He's designed it in order to give us another way to use basketball to share the love of Christ.

Team Canada vs. Team Mexico = the perfect, God-ordained opportunity to use sports and hospitality to impact lives!

Tomorrow night we're expecting our house to be inundated with our basketball youth, the young people we've been working with throughout the summer, building relationships and teaching them the game we love in hopes of developing common ground, a way by which we are able to share about the One we love. The One who loves them with an everlasting love. The One who desires a personal relationship with each and every one of them.

So bring on the coke and pizza. Bring on the laughter and teasing. Bring on the cheering and the excitement! Bring on the crowded couches and the lack of floor space. Bring on the prayers! This is sports ministry in action!

I can't help but smile at the way God works.....an ordained tournament schedule and a little channel surfing.....who knew?

Obviously, He did.

And I'm glad He had me push the red button.

~ Karlene

No comments:

Post a Comment