Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rural Schools

I have visited 4 rural schools in the last few days. Back in 2002 I found that Choma Secondary, a city school, had some deficiencies and challenges in resources and infrastructure. That prepared me for what I am now seeing somewhat, but it is still difficult.

Some challenges are 95 in one classroom with 2 teachers, most classes are more than 60. The schools need more classrooms and teachers. Some schools are having the Gr. 1-3's come after lunch, so some teachers are teaching twice in a day. They receive a small allowance for doing this. They did have textbooks but are always saving some for future years. One room I visited had 4 books for 32 kids. When asked to do something in the book, some could not even see the book. There are never enough desks, so some kids just sit on the floor.

I have also found classes sitting without a teacher at every school, because the teacher is not around. A teacher told me that when she went on maternity, other teachers are supposed to cover her classes. These teachers already have a class, so I doubt much filling in happens.

All of the principals and vice principals are teaching as well. Even so, they have welcomed my visits, and I have had to tell them immediately that I don't have any funding to build classrooms, teacher housing or buy text books. This of course disappoints them, but they tell me they are happy to receive any help I can give them. One school has me sharing some thoughts with teachers tomorrow about characteristics of excellent teachers. I am struggling with what to say, as the number one factor here is probably teacher to pupil ratio - imagine teaching every subject to a class, and being told that you are to make sure that every one of your 60+ students has achieved the objectives set for every lesson. I pray that God will guide me!


3 comments:

  1. That is so heart breaking... is there any way that we could raise funds for them to get books or build a classroom or two? I would love to help in that.
    Praying that you will find encouragement along the way this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately tugs the heart strings Anthony. We have so much and we take it for granted each day and have expectations for more. Must be something we can do! I too will pray for encouragement and wisdom in these situations.
    Lori Bergen

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you wish to raise funds, I guarantee that they have great potential. And we do have a friend that is the vice principal that we admire greatly in his vision to see things improve despite his many challenges. Let us know what you could do...I think buildings and desks may have more impact than textbooks longterm, textbooks are much quicker but don't last as long. Blessings on you guys!!

    ReplyDelete