Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Meeting one to one

Trying to speed up the language learning process today, I met with an elderly gentleman from the church we attend most. He was on time!! and I was late:( but he was gracious and kind. He spoke in the hour we visited about 10 words in English. The rest of the time I listened a lot, leaning forward, trying to make out every word and follow the trail of conversation that he was taking me on. It was brain numbing in many respects. While I could figure out most of the words he uses if they were written and I had time, trying to keep up with his conversation was much harder, and I had the thought that I felt like I was lying as I nodded and said yes during many parts of the conversation. I wanted to encourage him to continue, but was only occasionaly asking for clarification or repetition. I almost felt like it was of little benefit at this point, but realized that if I continue, I will understand more each week. The part I felt was a bit easier was coming up with ways of saying what I wanted. It is work to not be discouraged and I need to be aware of negative thoughts that can take me captive. So I am looking forward to next week with anticipation as to how we can communicate.

2 comments:

  1. Press on my friends - one day you will realize - hey - we're talking Spanish and forgot our English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you. The Lord is your strength, only be courageous.

    ReplyDelete