Thursday, March 7, 2013

Unexpected Encounters

Using Spanish can be a tricky thing. I feel like I can get across most of what I want to say most of the time. But it takes time and patience. I understand less. Today a lady stopped to talk to me at my front door. She was elderly, friendly, and very talkative. At a rapid pace. Beyond what I can handle. At the same time I had a fellow stop asking for work holding a pail of cement. I needed some repairs to our window frame. So he was working on it, but he became my translator.
She was talking a mile a minute, I would look a bit confused, the repairman would ask her to repeat it, then he would tell me what she said - in Spanish. I could understand him. Not her. She wanted to rent out a different place to us. It was cheaper and bigger. I told her we had enough space, as well as a contract to honor. She then asked if we would help out her friend who needed a place to stay, after all we seemed to have some spare room. I explained the contract and difficulty of renting out part of our place. She didn't understand my Spanish, but the repairman managed to, and then repeated it in a different way in Spanish. So as you see, it is interesting to be speaking a language that someone can understand, I can understand him, but she can't understand me, nor I her.
Understand? Blessings! Anthony

No comments:

Post a Comment