Monday, December 8, 2014

Like The Criminal On The Cross


It's not often that I take time to put my thoughts on paper. But this morning when I was having my devotions I was convicted very clearly and as thoughts started coming to my mind, I started putting them on paper. Below is what resulted. I share it in hopes that it can encourage those who read it.


Luke 23:32-43New International Version (NIV)


32 Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. 33 When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him there, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[a] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots. 35 The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.” 36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.” 38 There was a written notice above him, which read: this is the king of the jews39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!” 40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[b]” 43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

 "One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? 
Save yourself and us!”
As I was reading my devotional this morning I was convicted that I’m often like the criminal on the cross, demanding that God do things my way, like I know what’s best. And yet God, who knows all and sees all and is in control of all, works to do things greater and mightier and better then I could ever imagine. As I reflected further, I asked myself, “What if He had listened to the criminal on the cross and saved the criminal and himself from their crucifixions?” Granted, the lives of the criminal and Jesus, would have been physically saved but the criminal and the whole world with him, every person, including you and I, would have been eternally condemned. 

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
Surely God knows what’s best. He sees the big picture and I don’t. Like the criminal who was consumed with his own struggle and pain, I too become consumed with my situations, my trials, my pain, my sorrow, my problems to the point that I shout at God, demanding Him to save me now and take me down off my cross and out of my difficulties. And yet I forget that Jesus is right there beside me, carrying my burdens and pains and worries and sin, all the while pleading with me to realize that His ultimate plan will bring me far greater benefits, far greater results, far greater hope and far greater good then I could ever imagine or expect to receive if He immediately swept me up and out of my troubles. 

"For I know the plans I have for you….
"“Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”
How short sighted I am, how consumed I become with me and my problems, how arrogant of me to think that I know what needs to be done better then God himself. Jesus isn’t swayed by my complaining or my demands. He sees His plan through to the end, no matter how many insults or abuse I hurl His way because He knows that His way is the only way, He knows that His way brings salvation, He knows that His way brings hope and life and freedom. He knows that his way is good and right and best. He calls me to relinquish control, to accept the fact that I’m incredibly shortsighted and to trust the truth that even when I can’t, He sees the big picture, He’s in control, He’s working for my good and His ways are higher than my ways and his thoughts are higher than my thoughts. He knows the plans He has for me because He’s a big picture God.
                                                                                                      ~ Karlene

1 comment:

  1. When He looks at me He sees not what I used to be be, but He sees Jesus. Thanks Karlene for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete