Thursday, May 23, 2013

Learning to mix it up...

I love sports, both playing and watching. When asked what is my favorite, it could very well be which ever I am playing. In the park that we live 100 meters from, basketball is the easiest choice for drop-in, and has been the only activity we could sign the kids up for without a wait list. So I try to get to the park and play 2 to 3 times a week.
Last week I went with Josiah and Keyana to watch and help out where it looks like I could be useful. I ended up sitting on the side for quite some time, noticed a man watching from the far end. Finally I obeyed the little voice telling me to go visit. I was glad I did.
He was one of the easiest speakers I have practiced with yet. He spoke slowly and clearly without being asked, and offered tips and suggestions on how to say things. He corrected me when I needed it (which feels like too often at times) and rephrased things when I didn't seem to understand. I will look for him when I am at the court next time!
Another interesting visit I have had several times are with a grandfather of our childrens classmate. He challenges me in other areas as well. Since he is Jehovah's Witness, we have discussed differences in belief and practices, and it has been a good way for me to work on religious vocabulary.
Another good practice that challenges my listening skills is Bible Study on Saturday mornings with the men's group at 7:30 am. This Saturday I am challenging myself to take part in the discussion as I haven't said boo so far, unless asked a direct question or asked to lead in prayer or Bible reading.
One other practice I enjoy is with Carlos, a friend from church. He knows English fairly well. We have gone swimming with him, to the park to play soccer and had him over for a visit or lunch several times.
This mixing it up has been good, fun and interesting. I told one fellow yesterday on the court that when I understand their teasing and joking that I will know that I am much closer to fluency. Now I smile good naturedly and look somewhat confused. Thanks be to God as I continue to grow and learn, and hope to be laughing with the Mexicans soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment