Monday, August 15, 2016

Motorcycle, Prayer and Hurry

I believe it is Dallas Willard who said that one of the most important disciplines a Christian needs to work on is to mercilessly remove all hurry from one's life. I had an experience that helped me remember that, as well as the importance of the prayers of all those who do remember us in prayer.
It was Josiah's birthday, with way too many things planned, and a soccer practice and game were added to the mix, which involved a 15 km ride on the motorbike. I was exiting a parking lot that we cut across, as everyone does, to get onto a main artery across the city. I was a bit distracted by a policeman beside me, and in a hurry as we were late, so after making sure I came to a full stop, I glanced to see if anyone was coming, gunned the bike, and as I was turning to the left thinking about the policeman I left behind, a flash of lime green came across my front, just clipping my front tire of the bike. My heart stopped, and I didn't have time to do anything else. The bike kept going in its line, as the touch of my front tire had been small enough that it didn't cause me to fall or swerve.
I couldn't help but think that I almost ended his life at 12 years by putting hurry before careful driving. I praised God for sparing us from anything worse, and renew my commitment to avoid hurry like a plague.

1 comment: