Saturday, August 23, 2014

Encouragement...

Please don't take this in anyway except to mention the importance of encouragement. Because I was feeling discouraged lately. It has been an up and down ride as we continue the slow process of learning Spanish. At times we have all wondered why God calls us to a place where we need to learn another language. Perhaps it is important to humble the missionary, to make them feel like a baby who can't communicate, who is dependent on others...just like we need to feel if we try to serve without God.
I have taught for more than 15 years. I have taken a few Bible studies that helped to discern what spiritual gifts God has given me. Teaching has come up as the #1 or 2 item every time. Even so, now that I am in Mexico, I don't feel like a very capable teacher. That is why I was surprised when a friend from church told me that he thought I need to focus on teaching adults in church. He said it was my strength, that he sees it as a gift that God has given me. Now this man has attended a few Bible studies that I have led and seen me communicate in Spanish. Yet despite my awkward tongue and poor pronunciation, he felt I need to step out and start teaching more.
I then was surprised that about a week later, a leader in the church asked me what I thought my gifts were, and where I saw myself working in the church. I mentioned sports ministry, youth ministry and discipleship. He asked if I would be interested in teaching the men in the church how to be leaders in the church. I was surprised, and asked why he thought I should do that. He mentioned as well that he thought I was gifted in teaching. I told him I was willing to consider it.
Then 2 different people mentioned that a lady who attends our cell group has really been enjoying it. She feels she is learning a lot. I am not the main teacher, but have taught about 40% of the time. This was another encouragement, that I need to use the gift God has given, even if it is in Spanish. To rely on Him completely seems more important than ever as I teach in Spanish. Walking in the Holy Spirit and depending on Him for strength, wisdom and the words to teach are my prayer for every study.
And this chain of encouragements boost my faith that God can use me, in Spanish, to teach from His Holy Word, for it is He who has gifted each one of His saints with power from on high.

Ephesians 3:16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. 21 Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

As you see in this passage, that if anything is accomplished, it is because of God's mighty enabling. Therefore our dependence must be on God to fill us with the Holy Spirit, to lead us and guide us, as the weak sheep that we are. And we know he is able and willing to do so. Therefore, I am encouraged to go forth to teach and share God's word with those around me even more boldly, for God is with me and will bless His word as it goes forth. Go therefore and make disciples...


2 comments:

  1. I am trying for the third time to post a comment. We are praising God for the encouragement that you are receiving from within the culture that you have been called to. May you sense His nearness as you wait on Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying for the third time to post a comment. We are praising God for the encouragement that you are receiving from within the culture that you have been called to. May you sense His nearness as you wait on Him!

    ReplyDelete