Monday, May 12, 2014

Knowing God...Prove it!

What Kind of God Do I Serve?

Raw self-evaluation can be scary, but not many other things can accelerate personal growth like it does. Spiritually, it can be done daily at the end of the day, simply asking myself a few tough questions.

Here is one...What do I believe about God?

It is one thing to say what I believe about God...it is quite another to look at my life and let my life style and choices reveal what I believe about God. Actions and/or inaction speak louder than words...

When I forget to have devotions, or put it off, does that show God really is the #1 priority in my life? Do I wake up with God on my heart, when I lie down, are his precepts before me, do I meditate on his word all day long, do I pant for him like a deer does for water? Does 5 minutes, 15 or 30 give God the attention and time to really listen to his small still voice?

When I have small dreams, small ideas, small vision, does this show that I really have a big, BIG God who can do all things through me? Do I limit what God does in and through me with my small thinking, lack of boldness, lack of prayer?

When I am impatient and can't wait for things to: move forward, change, happen, does that show that I have a God who holds all things in His hands, that all things happen in His time?

When I am filled with emotions, yet joy isn't king, does that show that I believe in the One who gives me all good gifts, according to his goodness and pleasure? Am I satisfied to know and be known by the giver of life?

When I worry about finances, present or future, do I believe that God is Jireh, our provider? Can I trust him with my family and their future as well? Worrying has not helped me yet, so why do I return to it

My point is that it is one thing to say I believe something about God, but it is much more clear and true that I believe something if I live it out. If I say I believe that I will die if I eat contaminated fish from the ocean, but eat it anyways, I doubt anyone would think I really believed what I said.

Too deepen and live out my belief in, relationship with, and knowledge of God, I plan to read Knowing God by J.I. Packer, as well as Knowing God the Way He Wants You to Know Him By Chip Ingram, then meditate on what that would look like in a life completely sold out to God. Maybe I will have an update in a little while:)

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires." 2 Peter 1:3-4

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your comments about what life might look like if one was sold out to God. His desire is to have fellowship at every level, where ever we are at and continously. Always remember He never leaves us but we often break felloship with Him. May you find great encouragement as He teaches and disciples you by His Spirit through the Word. Enjoy your Journey!!!!

    ReplyDelete