Sunday, February 2, 2014

Dependence

I (Anthony) admit to feeling really weak yesterday. We were hosting a youth group meeting at our house. We have done this before. We have enjoyed leading youth together. Why I feel so weak is I have never led in Spanish. I have not taken charge of anything in Spanish. So I realised yesterday about 6 hours before the event that I really needed to pray specifically. I shut the door to our spare room, knelt before God and let Him know I felt inadequate and weak. "Lord, I don't feel I know enough about youth here in Mexico to plan an event, or to communicate clearly. Lord, I need your help!"
It is God's desire that I live my life like this all the time. That is why He brings me to my knees before Him with situations that are difficult, stretching and scary. Praise be to God for His continued patience and love, as He draws me to Him and to my knees!

John 15:5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

Psalm 40:3 He has given me a new song to sing,
    a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see what he has done and be amazed.
    They will put their trust in the Lord.

My trust needs to return to God and not in my strength, training, experiences or even gifts that God has given, but in God alone. 
When the first 3 came, I was calm and just sat and visited, asking questions, trying to get to know the youth. As more came we started to play a game of spoons, which was a lot of fun. The youth that came laughed as I laughed about my Spanish mixups and 5 year old vocabulary, they smirked as I read some Bible verses in Spanish, but I trust that God will use the evening for His glory, as I committed the night to Him. It is His church, it is His youth group, and the results are up to Him. That really does make the load light (Matthew 11:28-30) and allow me to smile more freely.
At the end of the night, we were introduced to the grandparents of one youth who live beside our house. We hope we will be able to develop a relationship with them as well. We were also told that our neighbours across the street have a young man who is best friends with a youth who attended. We pray that we will be able to be an encouragement and that God will give us opportunity to reach out to our neighbours more and more, as we step out of our comfort zone. 
Where are you stepping out? Tell us how you get to know your neighbours!

1 comment:

  1. PTL! He is always Faithful!!!! I am excited and pleased when I hear of your dependence on The Lord! May you be greatly enriched as you recognize the work of the Holy Spirit in and through you!! May God be Gorified in the Process of your life

    ReplyDelete