Monday, January 30, 2012

Day of Prayer

I chose today as a day of prayer. It was much needed as I felt quite fuzzy lately. Too much happening with too little direction and time to seek God in it all. It was a good day as well since I did not have to work, as it was a professional development day for teachers.

I was surprised by how quickly it went by, and came away refreshed and my cup was filled up some more again. I went to our church and spent 4 hours in the fireside room. It was fairly peaceful despite the cleaning staff all around, who did their best to leave me be. A desk would have been nice, but with my Bible, computer to play the software that guided me through the day, a journal, a book to read, and some music for reflection and praise, as well as some snacks, I was equipped for a great day.

One fear I had was that I might fall asleep during prayer or meditation as I have been struggling to get enough sleep lately. I didn't even yawn. It was amazing. I was able to concentrate and feel that the Holy Spirit really helped me to think clearly and communicate well.

 I would like to do it again without a set program that guided me through activities, prayers, readings from TEAM, our mission organization. They were helpful, but I would like to go without any agenda or product that is finished by the end, simply quiet time with God. If you are feeling too busy, far from God, or simply would like to make it a priority to spend time with God, give it a try to go on a prayer retreat, just you and the Creator.

I came away with several goals; one was to learn Spanish better, another to take a course or read a book about the formation of the church, and to lead my family spiritually in a new passionate way.

No comments:

Post a Comment